Ask the Spirit to guide you as you read God’s word for today. Remember to read the entire passage.
“And do not be grieved, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”
In this passage Israel gathers to hear God’s word read to them. Unlike us, they did not have a copy – or several – to pour over in individual study. As Ezra reads, the people become so grieved they begin to weep.
- But in verse 10, Nehemiah reminds them of what their attitude should be. Write it down.
- As believers in Jesus Christ… we have not only His word, but His Spirit. Read 1 Corinthians 2:10-12. We are filled with His Spirit, He knows every thought – every feeling – and gives generously according to His love and mercy and wisdom. The joy of the Lord is our strength! It is not about worldly happiness, but eternal – God given Joy. How does this change your perspective on the Joy from the Lord.
- “I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 5:13 NLT
- Who is our source of hope?
- What do we need to do to be filled with joy and peace?
- What can the result be?
- We have a choice. Putting our trust in God and allowing Him to fill us with His joy and strength… or looking to this world for happiness and affirmation. What will you choose?
- Pray Romans 5:13 for yourself today & trust God for His joy and strength.
May you be guided, comforted, and strengthened by the power of the living God! May He fill you will all joy and hope in believing so that you will overflow with hope by the power of His Holy Sprit. Praying for you!