Father God, help us to understand the truth of who you are. Help us to understand the picture of you that you give us through the life of your Son – Jesus. Help us to understand His role in the beginning, His role here on earth and His role at your right hand in heaven. Lord may we come to love you more through what we study today.
Again this passage holds such depth. It is one that we can only pray that we will come to understand. We are only brushing the surface of the breadth of what Jesus is sharing here.
READ John 8:48-59
“Jesus answered, ‘I do not have a demon, but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me. 50 Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is One who seeks it, and he is the judge. 51 Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.’” John 8:49-51
- Go through this passage and write down all of the statements that Jesus makes about Himself and His Father.
- Of what do the Jews in this passage accuse Jesus?
- What is Jesus’s response?
- What promise does Jesus make in verse 51?
- What profound statement is Jesus making verse 58 (see also Exodus 3:14)?
- Read Colossians 1:15-20 to get a deeper picture of what this statement means- make a list of all of the characteristics of Christ.
- What does it mean to you that Jesus is the image of the invisible God?
Lord God you are amazing. You gave us a picture of who you are by sending Jesus, and an indescribable gift by reconciling all things through Him. Lord let us live in the truth that when we believe in you and trust your word that we will never see death. Alleluia! In Jesus name… Amen
Father God, help us to see Jesus as the Light of the World. Lord help us to see His words, accept His truth and know Him more intimately through our study today. Father, may we understand more deeply His relationship to you. May we understand more fully what He has done for us.
READ John 8:12-38
“So Jesus said to them, ‘When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he, and that I do nothing on my own authority, but speak just as the Father taught me. 29 And he who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to him.’ 30 As he was saying these things, many believed in him.” John 8:28-29
This passage offers so many details about who Jesus is, His relationship to the Father and His relationship to us. We will only scratch the surface today of the depth of His message.
- Write down all the statements Jesus makes about Himself and His relationship to His Father.
- In this passage, Jesus had been teaching the people. To make a point, the Pharisees had attempted to trap Him with a moral dilemma (you can read more about this in 8:1-11). So, Jesus is addressing them specifically, but all people generally.
- Write down what Jesus says to them.
- Look at verse 30, what is the result of Jesus speaking the truth about who He is?
- As Jesus adresses these believers, what is it that He says is an indication of being His disciple?
- What does Jesus reveal about those who practice sin?
- What does He reveal about the freedom He makes available?
- In Paul’s first letter to Timothy he states, “The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners” (1 Timothy 1:15). He is the light… but more than that He is the one who sets us free. What does it mean to you that you have been set free?
Lord thank you that you have come into this world to seek and save sinners (1 Timothy 1:15). May we abide in Your word, may we know the truth and may it set us free. Help us to live each day in the light of that truth.
Take time to ask the Spirit to guide you as you spend time in God’s word today…
John 8:31-32 & John 15:1-11
“So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, ‘If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.'”
- What does it mean to abide in Jesus and in His word (See also John 15:1-11)?
- It is pretty awesome to think that when we abide in Him – He abides in us! How does this truth affect your desire to seek Him?
- The more our lives our intertwined with Christ the more we receive from the life-giving, freedom giving, joy giving vine. Where do you stand today in your life with Christ? Are you so connected to Him that your joy is complete? Are you working apart from Him and bearing no fruit? Or do you fall somewhere in between?
- When we know Christ we know freedom. When we submit to Christ & abide in Christ we grow in Christ and bear His fruit. What can you change today to better root your life in Christ ?
Praying that the Lord would work to grow you and mold you and make you His disciple. May you know that in Christ you have freedom as you remain in a state of connectedness with Him. And, in turn will you bear much fruit and bring Him glory. Praying for you!