Lord God, May we see your relationship to the world and your relationship to us. May we understand how you have equipped us, and help us to know you more completely through the gift of your Spirit, may we grow in your truth and love today.
READ John 15:18-26
“‘And you also will bear witness, because you have been with me from the beginning.'” John 15:27
- Again in this passage Jesus discussed the connection between Himself and the Father and the world. What is the distinction that he draws between those who know Christ and those who do not know Him (the world)?
- What are the implications of this on His followers?
- But…Jesus gives home. Who is He sending?
- What will the Spirit do?
- How will the Spirit enable believers?
- It is pretty amazing to think that when we believe in Jesus, we have the Spirit of the living God dwelling in us! Knowing this, does this passage help you to see your relationship to the world any differently?
- What does it mean to you that you have the opportunity to bear witness to Christ through the power of the Spirit within you?
Lord equip us with your Spirit today. Help us to live according to your truth, enable us to bear witness about you. In a world that so readily rejects you, may we shine the light of Christ, especially during this Christmas Season. In Jesus name – amen….
Take time to ask the Spirit to guide you as you spend time in God’s word today…
John 8:31-32 & John 15:1-11
“So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, ‘If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.'”
- What does it mean to abide in Jesus and in His word (See also John 15:1-11)?
- It is pretty awesome to think that when we abide in Him – He abides in us! How does this truth affect your desire to seek Him?
- The more our lives our intertwined with Christ the more we receive from the life-giving, freedom giving, joy giving vine. Where do you stand today in your life with Christ? Are you so connected to Him that your joy is complete? Are you working apart from Him and bearing no fruit? Or do you fall somewhere in between?
- When we know Christ we know freedom. When we submit to Christ & abide in Christ we grow in Christ and bear His fruit. What can you change today to better root your life in Christ ?
Praying that the Lord would work to grow you and mold you and make you His disciple. May you know that in Christ you have freedom as you remain in a state of connectedness with Him. And, in turn will you bear much fruit and bring Him glory. Praying for you!
Ask the Spirit to guide you as you read God’s word for today. Remember to read the entire passage.
1 Thessalonians 2:13
“Greater love has no one than this,
that someone lay down his life for his friends.”
- I’ve read and heard this quote from Jesus many many times. I always thought of it as physically laying down my life. But a read something recently that made me rethink it. We are called to lay down our life…put others first. How does that make Jesus’ statement different?
- How can you lay down your life for your friends (spouse/child/boss/co-worker) today?
Praying that He will show you where you need to lay down your life today, and equip you to willing give of yourself for the benefit of others. Praying for you!