Father God, help us to see Jesus as the Light of the World. Lord help us to see His words, accept His truth and know Him more intimately through our study today. Father, may we understand more deeply His relationship to you. May we understand more fully what He has done for us.
READ John 8:12-38
“So Jesus said to them, ‘When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am he, and that I do nothing on my own authority, but speak just as the Father taught me. 29 And he who sent me is with me. He has not left me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to him.’ 30 As he was saying these things, many believed in him.” John 8:28-29
This passage offers so many details about who Jesus is, His relationship to the Father and His relationship to us. We will only scratch the surface today of the depth of His message.
- Write down all the statements Jesus makes about Himself and His relationship to His Father.
- In this passage, Jesus had been teaching the people. To make a point, the Pharisees had attempted to trap Him with a moral dilemma (you can read more about this in 8:1-11). So, Jesus is addressing them specifically, but all people generally.
- Write down what Jesus says to them.
- Look at verse 30, what is the result of Jesus speaking the truth about who He is?
- As Jesus adresses these believers, what is it that He says is an indication of being His disciple?
- What does Jesus reveal about those who practice sin?
- What does He reveal about the freedom He makes available?
- In Paul’s first letter to Timothy he states, “The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners” (1 Timothy 1:15). He is the light… but more than that He is the one who sets us free. What does it mean to you that you have been set free?
Lord thank you that you have come into this world to seek and save sinners (1 Timothy 1:15). May we abide in Your word, may we know the truth and may it set us free. Help us to live each day in the light of that truth.