Father God, help us to understand the truth of who you are. Help us to understand the picture of you that you give us through the life of your Son – Jesus. Help us to understand His role in the beginning, His role here on earth and His role at your right hand in heaven. Lord may we come to love you more through what we study today.
Again this passage holds such depth. It is one that we can only pray that we will come to understand. We are only brushing the surface of the breadth of what Jesus is sharing here.
READ John 8:48-59
“Jesus answered, ‘I do not have a demon, but I honor my Father, and you dishonor me. 50 Yet I do not seek my own glory; there is One who seeks it, and he is the judge. 51 Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.’” John 8:49-51
- Go through this passage and write down all of the statements that Jesus makes about Himself and His Father.
- Of what do the Jews in this passage accuse Jesus?
- What is Jesus’s response?
- What promise does Jesus make in verse 51?
- What profound statement is Jesus making verse 58 (see also Exodus 3:14)?
- Read Colossians 1:15-20 to get a deeper picture of what this statement means- make a list of all of the characteristics of Christ.
- What does it mean to you that Jesus is the image of the invisible God?
Lord God you are amazing. You gave us a picture of who you are by sending Jesus, and an indescribable gift by reconciling all things through Him. Lord let us live in the truth that when we believe in you and trust your word that we will never see death. Alleluia! In Jesus name… Amen