Ask the Spirit to guide you as you read God’s word for today. Remember to read the entire passage.
“The Lord is my chosen portion and my cup;
you hold my lot.”
“The Lord is the portion of my inheritance, my cup [He is all I need];
You support my lot.”
Psalm 16:5 AMP
“Lord, you alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing.
You guard all that is mine.”
Psalm 16:5 NLT
The end of Psalm 16 is quoted by both Peter (Acts 2) and Paul (Acts 13) pointing us to the identity of Jesus – that “‘You will not let your Holy One see corruption.” (Acts 13:35) This points to the truth that Jesus would indeed be resurrected and reign forever. Praise God! Still, the entire Psalm reveals to us where our hearts should be and encourages us to look forward to eternal life with our Lord in heaven! What joy!
- Looking to verse 1 what is the Psalmist’s (probably David) first request?
- His refuge is the Lord – Ask the Lord to be your refuge! And trust God for His protection whatever may be swirling in your life.
- In verse 5 the Psalmist makes a choice. He doesn’t choose to rely on the things of this world to fulfill him. Instead what choice does he make?
- God is all you need! No matter all of the “if only’s” you have in your life. Write down some of them. Then cross them off and write – God is all I need!
- Write down verse 8! Memorize it! Live like it! What difference does it make if the Lord is what you choose to pursue?
- What is the result when we make this choice (see verses 9-11)?
- What is your choice?!
Though our bodies will see decay (if we die before Jesus returns)- when we trust in Jesus and put our lives in the hands of the Lord we too can look forward to eternity in heaven with our Almighty God! Alleluia!
Praying that you will set the Lord always before you! You will not be shaken! Praying for you!