Lord we thank you that when we delight in you, you give us the desires of our heart. May our heart be fully yours as we meditate on your word and seek your face. Lord may our delight be in you alone.
READ PSALM 37:4
“Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” PSALM 37:4 “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates." Deuteronomy 6:4-9 "'Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he (Jesus) said to him, 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment.'" Matthew 22:36-38
- Take time to think about the word delight. Write down some synonyms.
- We do not often think of enjoying God. Think about when you meet a good friend for coffee – you delight in the time that you spend with this dear person. You look back on your conversation, you appreciate their thoughtfulness. Do you do the same with God?
- As Matthew 6:21 tells us -“For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Where is your treasure – what do you delight in?
- Our delight in God is directly related to our heart. As we see God direct His people as they prepare to enter the promised land – “you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might” – Jesus then reiterates this in Matthew 22. Where is your heart?
- See – when our heart is delighting in God – God desires to give us what our heart desires. When our joy, treasure, satisfaction come from God… he desires to give us more of himself. What is one thing you can change or add to your daily routine to help you enjoy our loving heavenly Father?
I love to worship God and one of the ways that I enjoy God is through song. This is one of my favorite Psalms and it lead me to this song today… “But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who love your salvation say continually, ‘Great is the Lord!'” Psalm 40:16
Lord as we meditate on you and your word. May we remember that we are called to delight in you. Help us today to enjoy your presence with us. Help us Lord to devote our hearts to you. May we love you Lord with our heart, soul, and mind. May we pour out our praise to you because our hearts are full of you. May our treasure be you! Alleluia! Amen!
One thought on “delight”
Beautiful! Love this so much! Thank you for pointing us to the Source of our joy and satisfaction- and our true eternal Treasure!