Dear God, you have revealed yourself through your Son and through the scriptures. Open our eyes to Christ this advent. May we know You more and more as we study the life of Christ and look toward His return. Soften our hearts to your truth that we may rest in the cover of your love.
“At that time Jesus declared, “I thank you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that you have hidden these things from the wise and understanding and revealed them to little children; 26 yes, Father, for such was your gracious will. 27 All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him. 28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” H
- Here little children is used to describe people who seek Jesus with simple faith. How does this picture contrast to the image of those who do not approach Jesus this way?
- What authority does Jesus reveal in verse 27.
- What details about the intimate relationship between the Father and Son is revealed in this passage?
- What invitation does Jesus make to all who hear (read) of Him?
- Two yoked oxen also share a very intimate relationship. One takes the heavy burden and leads – but unless both work together the cart will struggle to move easily or straight. What does Jesus demonstrate about the kind of relationship He desires to have with you?
- Jesus proclaims that “my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (vs. 30) What burden are you carrying around on your shoulders today? Give Jesus the heavy weight upon you and take His yoke upon you.
- Jesus reveals who His Father is and who He is by what he shared throughout His life. What did you learn about the God today?
Lord God you desire to be in relationship with us. Lord you desire to be our rest, and yet we carry around our burdens and struggle to accept your beautiful peace. Help us today to come. To come to you, lay down our burden at your feet and take up your yoke. Help us to experience your gentleness & love as you lead us. Knowing that when we come to you with faith like children we are bound together for eternity by your work on the cross. In Jesus name – Amen.